Sunday, February 17, 2013

Blizzard Nemo Blows in Happy Heart Day... NYC Style 2013

I love Valentine's Day! Did you know that February is American Heart Month? A few years ago I sat on the American Heart Association's Board - Mesquite Chapter. I feel like that kinda makes you a lifelong advocate. So, I started the 14th with a jog through my favorite place in the city... Carl Schurz Park!


Carl Schurz - View During My Jog


But let's back up three days...


You will notice the snow on the ground in the above picture... that is the remains of Nemo. No, no... there was not a sad Disney tragedy. I'm talking about the snowstorm. NYC did not get the "bad" of the storm...just a lot of pretty snow! However, all activities in the city were cancelled by Friday night (I did have to take an overnight train from DC to NYC Thursday night to beat the storm...but the joke was on me since our train broke down...and arrived in NYC at 3:30AM...YAWN!). However, we gladly welcomed a free Saturday and took advantage of sledding in Central Park with friends! Not going to lie...we were pretty much the only ones in the park without kids. It. was. awesome.



It also makes you realize how much you miss being a kid and having no fear whatsoever. I was positive that I was going to take out a 4 year old while gliding down the hills. Instead, I "braked" with my feet every few seconds and ended up soaking wet from the snow. I can't believe how many New Yorkers own sleds in their closet-sized apartments - but they come out in full force when snow hits. Anyways, I gracefully glided through the weekend snow and ice without any issues. Then Monday hits and I'm alone. Things always seem to happen when I'm left alone (at least that is what Richard will tell you). I busted it INSIDE our apartment building down a flight a stairs, Pickle in tow. Lucky for Pickle, she's my "main squeeze" and boy did I squeeze her tightly. She was just fine, although she decided to play it safe and hide in our bed the rest of the day (quite the drama queen). I, however, landed a swollen shin that swelled twice its size, badly pulled a muscle and bruised my fingers. Whatever though, I'm still walking. So by Thursday, I was ready for physical activity, hence my morning run. I suppose most would have the common sense to not run when ice is still on the ground...right? But everyone else was doing it...yes, I'm one of those...and yes, I paid for it. And now my "good" leg has a pulled muscle. I call it war pains of living in NYC for the first year.


My fancy ice pack!

Back to v-day though...

You know what every girl wants for v-day right? Yep, Indian food. Richard knows me well. I received a special lunch delivery from Seamless (the amazing online food delivery service that almost every restaurant is connected to). Baluchi's restaurant was fantastic! And you know what - they actually made it spicy! We always have to say, "we don't want it white people spicy"...because we've been told a few times that "white people" don't understand spice levels. Ha! These people obviously haven't been to our family dinners in Texas.




On Saturday, we celebrated Valentine's Day on the Upper East Side at Le Moulin a Cafe with wine and their award-winning croissants (really good)! The little French spot has a kitchen feel in front near the deli and a very charming fireplace, decor and seating at the back. We followed with dinner at our favorite Italian restaurant in New York City, Caffe Buon GustoNewYork Mag can paint a much prettier picture of the restaurant than I can... "This small, boxy Upper East Side cafĂ© exudes comfort and conviviality, with parchment shades that soften light from sconces and warm the room despite the tightly packed tables. Eager to please, the kitchen uses high-quality ingredients for its mix-and-match philosophy." 


To sum it up, the fettuccine alfredo and the Veal Buon Gusto were amazing. The desserts are adorable and filled with chocolate-y goodness. In the summer months, there is an ultra-romantic garden in back. However, in the winter months, your only option is indoor seating. The ambiance is great, but the tables are practically on top of each other...so our meal became quite"entertaining" with one couple making out over their food, across the table... nonstop. And on the other side, the "couple"that were on a "date"... This guy was old enough to be this girl's father and his woo-ing techniques were hilarious. At one point, he made her guess how much her necklace cost and then told her he was going to take her to Mexico on a private jet (trust me, if he had a private jet, he would not have been dining at this restaurant). She wasn't any better though (don't ask). At one point, we thought we were busted from making fun of them... but then they opened their next bottle of wine and all was well. Ah, the love stories of New York City...

I stole the cutest idea from one of my favorite blogs! Instead of buying a traditional Valentine's Day card for Richard, I made his a "live" card! The idea is to write a series of messages and then flip through the messages to music. It sounds a little odd to describe, but it is so fun when it comes to life. I love the creativity and how personable it becomes! Below is a snapshot of the beginning of my "card"...but that is all you get! Can't share just how cheesy I am with the world. :)



But what I am really excited to share are my new earrings from the Noonday Collection. I am a tad obsessed with (as my friends and family know) gifts that have a double impact (i.e., Toms, World Vision Gift Catalogue and Kohls CARES). You can read the full story of the impact each purchase makes in developing countries here.

Here is a short blurb about the company..
Our passion at Noonday Collection is to connect you with the lives of artisans struggling for a better future while styling you along the way. Fashion and design are a vehicle for opportunity and change. You, too, can be a voice for the oppressed!
Pretty awesome, right? And they have amazing jewelry!



I am so lucky to not only have a romantic husband, but a very creative one! Happy Valentine's Day!


Here is some doxie love for you.




xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment